Singer 14CG754 ProFinish Review
- Price: With all of its helpful features and many stitch options, the Singer 14CG754 ProFinish serger comes in at an exceptionally affordable price compared to similar machines in its class.
- Efficient: The 14CG754 model provides several features that make sewing much more efficient. These features include a speed of 1,300 stitches per minute, clearly labeled adjustment dials, a free arm, and the ability to easily switch to rolled hem stitches.
- Instructional Video Although simple to use, the Singer ProFinish 14CG754 comes with an instructional video to make the process of setting up and operating the serger much smoother.
- Short Warranty: Although the serger comes with a 25-year warranty for manufacturer’s defects and a 2-year warranty for electrical components, its warranty for parts and labor only covers 90 days.
- Manual Threading: Some users report having difficulty threading the machine even with the color-coded, lay-in threading features.
Where To Find The Best Value
- Affordable price
- 13.5 pounds
Review – 4.0 Stars
The Singer 14CG754 ProFinish is an affordable serger with a variety of stitch options for creative versatility. It’s a dependable, budget-friendly choice for those new to sewing and serging.
The Singer 14CG754 serger provides a 2-3-4 thread capability with an array of stitch options, allowing the user to match stitch selection to their project and fabric needs.
Stitch styles include:
- Two-Thread Wrapped Edge Overlock
- Two-Thread Overedge
- Three-Thread Overlock
- Three-Thread Wrapped Edge Overlock
- Four-Thread Ultra-Stretch Mock Safety Stitch
- Two-Thread Standard Rolled Hem
- Three-thread Stretch Mock Safety Stitch
- Two-Thread Flatlock
- Three-Thread Flatlock
Speed: 1,300 Stitches per Minute
Stitch Length: 2.0-4.0mm
Differential Feed: 0.7-2.0mm
Cutting Width: 3.0-6.7mm
Product Dimensions: 14 x 11 x 11.5 inches
Weight: 13.5 pounds
The model’s differential feed can be adjusted to keep material evenly fed during use. This allows for perfect seams on many types of fabric without puckering or bunching that occurs on delicate, lightweight fabrics. It also helps prevent knit fabrics from being stretched out and the seams appearing wavy.
On the 14CG754, it’s simple to adjust the length, width, and tension of a stitch using the stitch length dial, the width adjustment knob, and the tension discs. This allows the user to fine-tune each stitch until they are created perfectly. All of the adjustable features are easy to access and clearly marked.
This model offers a color-coded threading system to make the threading process much either whether you are initially setting up your machine or changing threads to match your project.
Retractable Cutting Blade
Retracting the cutting blade when you don’t wish to trim seam allowances is always a plus on a serger. To safely move the blade well beneath the needle plate, simply open the looper cover, slide the blade holder to the right, and turn the holder counterclockwise until it locks into position.
Four-Thread Mock-Stretch Stitch
This elaborate stitch pattern is useful for sewing knit fabric. As the fabric stretches, the stitch does as well, preventing threads from snapping when the seam is stressed. This stitch style is strong enough to be used for professional projects as it will not break upon stretching the fabric.
High Presser Foot Lifter
The presser foot lifter on the Singer 14CG754 is higher than ones found on many similar models. The added height provides more clearance, allowing the user to place many layers of material under the presser foot.
The Singer sewing company offers a 25/2/90 warranty on the 14CG754 from the original date of purchase. This includes a 90-day limited warranty on adjustments, belts, rings, bulbs, and attachments. Motors, light assembly, wiring, switches, speed control, and electronic components are covered under a 2-year limited warranty. The sewing machine head and any other parts not covered by the aforementioned two warranties are warrantied to be free of manufacturer’s defects for a 25-year period.
While the Singer 14CG754 may lack some features seen on the high-end models, it still provides good dependability considering its price. Its stitching options, speed, and adjustable components make it a machine that beginners will be pleased to own.
About Amanda S.: Growing up, I was fascinated by watching my mom and grandma turn fabric into beautiful handcrafted items. In my early 20’s, I finally got brave, buying a sewing machine and teaching myself to sew. As I fell in love with sewing, my machine collection expanded, and I ran an Etsy shop sewing children’s clothing for a few years. As a single mom of 3 great kids, my sewing time has lessened, but I still try to find time to work on quilts, bags, and projects with my kids, teaching them what I love.