Tacony AH100 American Home Review
- Printed and Video Help: Tacony AH100 comes with an informative, 36-minute DVD and two instructions manuals are packed with easy-to-follow directions and user-friendly tips.
- Great Portability: The Tacony AH100 includes a built-in handle on top of the machine that makes this lightweight machine even easier to carry.
- Extreme Stability: Suction cups attached to the base of the machine offer very secure, smooth operations.
- Short Warranty: The labor warranty is limited to only 90 days coverage.
- Some Manual Functions: The tension and stitch width and length must all be adjusted by hand.
- Hart-to-read Threading Instructions: Very small color-coded instruction decals are affixed to the outer door.
- Waste Receptacle – There isn’t one.
- Carry Handle – Poor Placement
Where to Find the Best Value
Click Here for Pricing, Pictures and Reviews on Amazon.com
This lightweight (19 lbs.) entry-level serger machine offers sewers loads of features at a very reasonable price. In addition to including three creative presser feet wit each purchase, the Tacony AH100 features nine stitch functions and an easily-disengaged exterior cutting blade. The threading instructions are small and can be hard to read and the process can be difficult due to the threading area’s limited space. But once threading is mastered, the serger performs beyond expectations, ensuring stability, versatility and smooth work.
The AH100’s nine stitch functions include 3- or 4-thread overlock stitching or 2-thread serging. It includes an adjustable stitch length feature, which makes gathering, creating decorative stitches or inserting flatlock seams easier. Stitch lengths and widths can be manually adjusted from 1 to 4mm in length. In width, the left needle adjusts between 6.2mm and 7.2mm and the right needle width between 4mm and 5mm.
Product Dimensions:13 by 9-3/5 by 11-4/5 inches
Speed: 1,100 Stitches per Minute
Threads: 4/3/2 color-coded EZ threading
Color-Coded: Yes (inside looper cover)
A handy, easy to operate swing out extension exposes a convenient free arm, which provides users with added functionality and versatility when creating cuffs, hems or doing sleeve work.
This machine does include a threading chart inside the outer cover. However, the reduced dimensions of the chart can make it hard to read. Also, the chart is a decal, which could become easily detached over time and with a lot of use. The reduced size of the threading area also makes the actual process of threading the machine can be more tedious than other sergers.
Dual Thread Cutters
The dual cutters on the Tacony AH100 do their work very cleanly and hold a sharp edge very well. The downside is having to take the machine to a certified technician for replacement if the upper blade ever becomes damaged or chipped. The lower blade can be easily replaced yourself by disengaging the blade, then unscrewing and removing it.
The Tacony-manufactured American Home AH 100 offers a limited, 25-year limited warranty on the machine, a 10-year warranty on mechanical parts, a one-year warranty on the electrical parts and components and a 90-day limit on labor expenses. The warranties do not cover wear due to normal usage or any labor performed by unauthorized repair technicians.
This solid, no-frills serger might lack most of the bells and whistles of more complex machines, but it offers all the best basic features any serger user wants. The strong suction cups on the base to do a great job of preventing shifting while in use and the differential feed ensures fast, smooth stitching on a variety of fabrics. Owners new to serging find the manual and DVD very helpful and said the machine is user-friendly. The basic, but good features and functions on this machine are well worth the investment.