Brother 1034D Serger Review
- Easy to Use: Many serger models have a steep learning curve, and the intricate workings of the machine are off-putting to new users. With the Brother 1034D, its simplicity and helpful instructional video shorten the learning period considerably.
- Color-Coded Threading: The color-coded system makes threading the machine easier for beginners.
- Three or Four Threads: One of the essential features of a serger is the number of threads it can provide. The Brother 1034D offers three or four threads to create a myriad of professional-quality stitches.
- Affordability: Even with a multitude of features and functions, the Brother 1034D model comes in at a cost-effective price.
- Hemming Ability: Rolled hems can only be sewn on certain fabrics; thus, it may not be useful when working with thicker or heavier materials.
- Instructional Video: Users report that the instructional video is made in low resolution.
- Left Side Controls: Unlike most sergers, the controls of the 1034D are located on the left side of the machine. Right-handed users may have trouble adjusting to this design.
Where To Find The Best Value
Click Here for Pricing, Pictures and Reviews on Amazon.com
Review (4.7 Stars)
The Brother 1034D Serger fits the needs of every level of serger users, from beginners to experienced sewists. Backed by the Brother reputation, it boasts many useful features that make tasks straightforward and quick. It offers a 3-4 thread system with over 20 stitch options to meet all serging needs.
Featuring a 3-4 thread system,1 or 2 needles, and variable stitch widths, the Brother serger 1034D offers a total of 22 built-in stitch options. Standard stitch options include:
- 3-thread overlock
- 4-thread overlock
- Rolled hem
- Narrow hem
- Ribbon lock
By purchasing optional presser feet, blind hem, pintuck, and flatlock stitches can be sewn as well.
- Speed: 1,300 stitches per minute
- Needles: 2
- Threads: 3-4
- Color-Coded: Yes
- Stitch Length: 2.0 to 4.0mm
- Differential Feed Ratio: 0.7 to 2.0mm
- Cutting Width: 3.0 to 7.0mm
- Light: LED
- Product Dimensions: 13.0″W x 15.2″D x 13.2″H
- Weight: 13.45 pounds
Adjustable Differential Feed
The differential fabric feed provides for better stitch quality across a range of material thickness and stretch. It especially comes in handy for thin, stretchy, or knitted fabric by preventing bunching or stretching of the fabric as it goes through the feed dogs.
Fast Stitch Speed
The 1034D operates at a speed of 1,300 stitches per minute, making it one of the faster sergers. This speed enables the user to finish complicated tasks much sooner. The quality is not compromised in expediting the process thanks to the differential fabric feed and other features.
Thread Tension Control
This feature provides management of how tight or loose thread is in each individual stitch. The 1034D model also allows for adjusting the tension for both needles specifically, providing more control over any stitch’s tightness.
Lay-in Threading Guides
Some sergers require weaving the threads in a complicated fashion through hooks and tension dials. On the 1034D, you simply lay the threads in the appropriate color-coded guide, making the process quick and straightforward.
Retractable Knife Blade
When working on a project that doesn’t need the fabric ends trimmed, the retractable cutting blade quickly disengages the knives. This is convenient, keeping the blade out of the way, so it doesn’t interfere with the work.
The brightly lit LED screen makes it much easier to see the workspace when sewing at night or in dimly lit areas. LED light technology also illuminates the workspace with a cool-spectrum brightness that doesn’t generate heat like an incandescent bulb.
The user may remove parts of the arm to sew cylindrical items to efficiently work on curved/tubular pieces such as necklines, collars, sleeve cuffs, and pant leg hems.
The Brother 1034D provides built-in storage space to keep accessories and tools out of the way, leaving a clean and organized serging space.
The Brother 1034D comes with a 25-year limited warranty. Parts, labor, and any included accessory items are covered for one year from the original purchase date. The electronic components and printed circuit boards are covered for five years from the original purchase date, excluding replacement labor costs. The chassis casting is covered for 25 years from the date of purchase.
The Brother 1034D has features that are advanced enough for a professional yet it is still simple enough for a beginner. It has some drawbacks but they are not enough to take away from the fact that this model is a great purchase for the average user.