Brother 1034DX Serger Review
- Ease of Use: Unlike some sergers, the Brother 1034DX is easy to set up, thread and use.
- Multilingual DVD and instruction manual: Both the DVD and manual provide information in English and Spanish.
- Removable Trim Trap: Easily detachable trap collects fabric and thread.
- Affordable Price: There’s no skimping on extra features and accessories with this serging machine.
- Stitch Limitations: This model doesn’t feature chain stitch or cover stitch functions.
- Directions are Hard to Find: The directions for oiling the machine are hard to locate behind the user manual, which can be missed. This can cause issues with the machine because it must be oiled before using.
- Controls on the Right Side: See the Brother 1034D for controls on the left side or a comparison of the Brother 1034D Vs 1034DX.
- Price versus the 1034d: More expensive than the similar 1034D.
Where to Find the Best Value
Click Here for Pricing, Pictures and Reviews on Amazon.com
The machine if fast and efficient, allowing users complete control when working on raw edges. The arm can be easily removed to easily put a professional finish on cuffs, sleeves or pants legs. Loading the thread is quick and easy, whether re-threading or making a fast color change by tying on a new color. The stitch-width adjustment can be controlled with the flick of a dial and this model features a great range of stitch styles and specialty stitch functions.
The stitch features and options on this serger are nearly limitless. The stitch wide can be adjusted by simply turning the dial to the setting you want – between 5.0mm and 7.0mm from the left needle. This feature ensures better control over all fabric types and weights by keeping the fabric flat and easy to handle.
This model features 22 stitch functions – 4-thread overlock, 3-thread overlock, ribbon lock and rolled hem stitches just to start. There are several specialty stitches just perfect for bridal, heirloom and formal garments and home décor items. Making the stitch adjustments easy is part of the machine’s design.
Speed: 1,300 Stitches per Minute
Light: Bright LED
Presser Foot Pressure Adjustment: Yes
Retractable Knife Blade
The 1034DX serger includes a built in retractable knife blade that will cleanly trim the edge on all your projects while aligning the fabric layers perfectly. When you’re working on projects that don’t require a trimmed edge, the knife blade can be quickly and safely retracted into the machine. This feature, which can be invaluable to a busy seamstress or home décor designer, is rare or non-existent on many other sergers.
In addition to well-written instructions and a comprehensive video, this machine includes a fully numbered and color-coded dual (upper and lower) looper threading system. The ability to work with either three or four threads increases its flexibility and efficiency. For example, using two needles and four threads will create a strong overlock seam on heavier woven fabrics, while knits and lighter fabrics might only require three threads and one needle.
Lower Looper Threader
Along with the 3-4 lay in threading system, this model includes a user-friendly lower looper threader feature.
This welcome feature controls how the feed dogs guide the different types of fabric through the machine. Being able to change the feed dogs helps ensure even, smooth stitching on all fabrics. By simply turning the dial, you can avoid puckers or create high-quality lettuce edging or gathers.
The 25-year limited Warranty includes free phone support for the life of the machine.
The 1034DX is an invaluable, reasonably-priced machine that offers a wide range of features usually only found on more expensive models. Whether you’re a beginner or an expert serger, this machine is well worth the investment. In addition to being easy to thread and use, this serger includes the ability to retract the blade when it’s not needed. This machine serges like a dream.