Janome 1200D Review
- Versatility: With both overlock and coverstitch capabilities, this combination machine makes it easy to switch from task to task without needing multiple machines.
- User Friendly: Designed with ease of use in mind, advanced features such as a stitch information display, automatic tension control, flip needle system, and quick change rolled hem help the sewist quickly and easily switch between stitches and capabilities.
- Tension Guide: Lay-in tension guides make the machine easier to thread, eliminating the need to follow a complicated threading pattern and hook threads into tension dials.
- Manual Threading: Threading multiple threads through tension dials, loopers, and needles is a challenge, especially for beginners. This machine doesn’t have automatic threading capabilities, so it requires manual threading by the user.
Where to Find the Best Value
The Janome 1200D Professional Overlocker & Cover Hem Machine is a versatile three machines in one, with the capabilities to work as an overlocker, coverstitch, and top cover hem machine. This easy to use manual machine puts a world of sewing opportunities at your fingertips, providing all the tools you need to construct ready to wear, professional-looking garments.
The Janome 1200D offers twenty different stitch options, depending upon the number of needles and threads used, including:
- Overlock stitches using 2, 3, 4, or 5 threads
- Cover stitches using 2 or 3 needles in three different widths
- Top cover hem stitches using 2 or 3 needles in three different widths
- Flatlock stitches using 2 or 3 threads
- Rolled hem stitches using 2 or 3 threads
- Blanket stitch
- Overcast stitch
- Stretch knit stitch
- Stretch wrapped stitch
Speed: 1300 stitches per minute
Number of Needles: 5
Adjustable Stitch Length: 0.5 – 5.0mm
Differential Feed Ratio: 0.5 – 5.0mm
Adjustable Cutting Width: 3.5 – 7.5mm
Light: LED light
Dimensions: 15”W x 12”H x 10.5”D
Weight: 18.5 lbs.
Overlock, Coverstitch, and Top Cover Hem Capabilities
Unlike other overlocker/coverstitch combination machines, the 1200D also offers top cover hem stitches. A top cover hem stitch has an additional thread woven through the 3-thread cover stitch to create a much stronger seam finish that is the same on both sides. This stitch usually is only available on industrial machines.
Stitch Information Display
With a detailed guide on the front of the machine, there’s no need to memorize the machine settings for different stitches or go in search of the user manual. Turn the stitch selection dial on the side of the machine until the desired stitch program is displayed – all the settings for differential feed, stitch length, needle position, cutting width, upper knife position, 2-thread converted, overlock cover or sewing table, presser foot, needle plate, and chain looper thread tension appear front and center on the machine.
Lay-in Tension Guides
Some overlock machines require you to weave threads in a complicated fashion through hooks and tension dials. Without a doubt, it’s a frustrating aspect of overlockers. The 1200D simplifies manual threading by eliminating the hooks and tension disks. Simply lay threads in the appropriate color-coded guide, making the process quicker and significantly more straightforward.
Automatic Tension Control
Adjusting the tension control on an overlock/coverstitch machine is the second most common user complaint, following threading. The automatic tension control sets the thread tensions based upon the stitch selection, reducing the time the user spends fiddling with tensions to find the perfect settings. Simply choose the stitch you want to sew, and the machine adjusts the tension automatically.
Flip Needle System
Offered on many of Janome’s higher-end machines, this outstanding feature makes it easier to change and thread needles. A clamp on the needle bar allows the needles to tilt upward for better access.
A specially designed cut-off bin attaches to the front of the machine, catching fabric trimmings to keep your workspace clean.
Janome America, Inc. warrants this Janome sewing machine for 25 years from the date of original purchase against defects in materials or workmanship except for electrical and electronic equipment, which is warrantied for two years from the date of original purchase.
If you’re looking for an affordably priced overlocker/coverstitch combination machine, you can’t go wrong with the highly-rated Janome 1200D. This high-quality professional level machine offers twenty different stitch options, including top cover hems, a feature useful for compression activewear. Designed with user-friendly features, you’ll be able to quickly and easily finish all of your garments, so they look commercially sewn.
About Amanda S.: Growing up, I was fascinated by watching my mom and grandma turn fabric into beautiful handcrafted items. In my early 20’s, I finally got brave, buying a sewing machine and teaching myself to sew. As I fell in love with sewing, my machine collection expanded, and I ran an Etsy shop sewing children’s clothing for a few years. As a single mom of 3 great kids, my sewing time has lessened, but I still try to find time to work on quilts, bags, and projects with my kids, teaching them what I love.